With Serena Williams out on maternity leave, we knew a new queen would be crowned at this year’s US Open. And Sloane Stephens had no issues stepping up to the plate to take her icon’s place.
The 24-year-old, who was ranked 957 in the world a few weeks ago, won the first major title of her career after defeating Madison Keys 6-3, 6-0 in the final of the 2017 U.S. Open on Saturday.According to The New York Times, it was the first Grand Slam singles final for both women, who have been friends since their junior days and have played on Fed Cup teams and Olympic teams together.
When the match was over, Stephens gave her”bestest friend on the tour” a long hug, telling her “Come here baby.” During the awards ceremony, Stephens said that she wished it could have been a draw and that she will always support Madison no matter what.
Even Serena took a break from social media since giving birth to her daughter to praise the two young women before the match:
Stephens, who beat Venus Williams in the semi-finals, is the first American woman not named Williams to win a Grand Slam singles title since Jennifer Capriati won the Australian Open in 2002, the Times pointed out.
And folks are here for her historic win:
Stephens not only walks away with bragging rights, but a three-plus million dollar check that she was totally shocked by, telling the rep from Chase Bank, “That’s a lot of money!”
Of course Madison offered to hold it for her while she modeled off her championship trophy for the crowd.
Stephens admitted that this win was very unexpected.
As The Guardian noted, she just returned to the game from an 11-month hiatus after undergoing foot surgery. Not to mention, she went out in the first round at Wimbledon. But something clicked and she stormed through this championship like the boss she proved to be.
Serena & Venus Williams’ Best Tennis Outfits Through The Years
1. Remember when…Serena and Venus came onto the scene in the late 1990s wearing beads and braids?1 of 25
2. Serena sports one of her classic Puma tennis dresses at the 1999 US Open2 of 25
3. Venus rocks a cutout tennis dress at the 1999 Grand Slam Cup3 of 25
4. A young Serena Williams wears a two-tone tennis dress at the 2000 Australian Open4 of 25
5. Venus rocks one of her signature cutout tennis outfits at Wimbledon in 20005 of 25
6. Serena goes pastel purple at the eStyle.Com Classic in 20006 of 25
7. Venus and Serena looked super stylish at the 2000 Sydney Olympics7 of 25
8. Serena is pretty in pink 2001 French Open8 of 25
9. Venus rocks a spaghetti strap halter at the 2001 US Open9 of 25
10. Serena celebrates her 2002 Wimbledon win in a traditional (but not-so-traditional) white tennis outfit10 of 25
11. Serena is just a peach at the 2002 Home Depot Championships11 of 25
12. Serena’s orange and white 2003 Wimbledon Puma outfit12 of 25
13. Serena rocks a metallic empire waist at the Women’s Telecom Italia Tennis Masters in 200413 of 25
14. Serena wins in her gorgeous 2004 Wimbledon outfit14 of 25
15. Serena rocks a denim tennis outfit at the 2004 US open Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day15 of 25
16. Serena celebrates in this cute Nike ensemble at the 2005 Australian Open16 of 25
17. Serena experiments with a little color blocking at the 2009 French Open17 of 25
18. Venus gets sexy on the court at the 2010 Sony Ericsson Open18 of 25
19. Venus rocks a double slit tennis dress while playing with her sister at the 2010 Australian Open19 of 25
20. Serena goes pink on pink at the 2013 US Open20 of 25
21. Serena looks gorgeous in Pink Cheetah at the 2014 US Open21 of 25
22. More cheetah for Serena at the 2014 US Open22 of 25
23. Serena wears a yellow crop top at the 2016 Australian Open23 of 25
24. Serena and Venus get braided up in preparation for Rio Olympics24 of 25
25. Serena Williams represents Team USA at the 2016 Rio Olympics25 of 25
#BlackGirlMagic: Sloane Stephens Wins Her First US Open! was originally published on hellobeautiful.com