The 2016 Grammys are over and Taylor Swift did it again — we can’t stop singing her song ‘Out Of The Woods.’ Kendrick Lamar left us with our fists waving in the air as he made a bold political statement with his Black and powerful performance. And Lady Gaga was brilliant in the Davie Bowie tribute.
Check out the moments from the show that left us talking…
1. Kendrick Lamar Brings Peak Blackness To The Stage
If White America complained about Beyonce’s Super Bowl show, their Twitter fingers are going to be moving a mile a minute after Kendrick Lamar’s performance at the Grammys. It doesn’t get much Blacker than shackled Black men with corn rows and Kendrick’s performance had all those elements and then some. Kendrick was unapologetically Black on the Grammys stage and just in time — the awards were getting a little stale.
2. Lady Gaga’s David Bowie Tribute Was Everything
Yes Lady Gaga. Yes! Say what you want about Gaga’s eccentric fashion, but she’s a damn good performer. Gaga was in full Gaga mode during her David Bowie tribute and it was one of her best performances yet. It was a nice reminder how David Bowie songs shaped pop culture.
Even though it was only for a few minutes (we blinked and it was over), Beyonce stole the show when she presented ‘Record Of The Year’ to Bruno Mars.
Adele may have had some technical difficulties during her performance of ‘All I Ask’ but the Internet still loves the powerhouse vocalist. Adele didn’t disappoint and looked flawless belting out one of our favorite tunes on 25.
5. Taylor Swift’s Opening Act
It wouldn’t be the Grammys without a Taylor Swift performance. America’s sweetheart opened the show channeling her Mrs. Carter swag in a sparkly blue catsuit. Unfortunately, we actually liked her new song ‘Out Of The Woods,’ which means the rest of the world is losing their minds over it. You’ll be hearing it on the radio back to back.
6. Lauryn Hill Bailed On The Weeknd?
Apparently Lauryn Hill skipped her performance with The Weeknd. According to Simone Smalls, Hill rehearsed with the ‘Can’t Feel My Face’ singer, but wasn’t a part of his live performance.
Lauryn’s rep released this statement,
The Grammy’s announced a performance by Ms. Lauryn Hill prematurely and without approval. Ms. Hill had concerts all weekend, leaving no time to prepare, and was uncertain she would even be able to make it to LA in time to rehearse for the event. Any performance that could have happened was never confirmed, and should not have been advertised as such. Ms. Hill was invited to do a collaboration with an artist she appreciates. The performance was intended to be a surprise and unfortunately due to its last minute nature, was unable to come to fruition.
Rihanna also cancelled her performance after a doctor reportedly put her on vocal rest.
7. Andra Day Was A Furry Black Goddess
*In our Kanye voice* You see this coat? Andra day blew us away with her boisterous pipes and looked to-die-for in this blush floor length fur.
8. Miguel Pays Homage To Michael Jackson
Push through Miguel! The sexy crooner covered MJ’s ‘She’s Out Of My Life’ on the 35th anniversary of the King Of Pop’s first Grammy win and reminded us how much we miss Michael and adore his voice.
9. Tori Kelly & James Bay’s On Fleek Vocals
Between Adele and Andra Day, the Grammys were packed with soul-stirring vocal performances, but it was Tori Kelly and James Bay who moved us most with their impressive range.
10. Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Acceptance Speech
We were treated to a glimpse of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s praised play ‘Hamilton,’ before the cast returned to the stage to accept the Grammy award for ‘Best Musical Theater Album.’ It was creator Miranda’s charming acceptance speech that made the win one of our favorite moments.
“The cast, unstoppable, the band is unbeatable, inimitable, unbeatable, always inspiring me to pull through,” Miranda rapped. “Sebastian, Daddy’s bringing home a Grammy for you!”
Drops mic on that note.
Red Carpet Rundown: 58th Annual Grammy Awards
1. Selena GomezSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. MC LyteSource:Getty 2 of 29
3. ZendayaSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Z LaLaSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. Aaron LindseySource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Tammy Collins and Kirk FranklinSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. The InternetSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Tori KellySource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Vanessa SimmonsSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Carrie UnderwoodSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. Anoushka ShankarSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Taylor SwiftSource:Getty 12 of 29
13. Taylor SwiftSource:Getty 13 of 29
14. Faith EvansSource:Getty 14 of 29
15. Giuliana RancicSource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Chrissy Teigen and John LegendSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. AdeleSource:Getty 17 of 29
18. The Weeknd and Bella HadidSource:Getty 18 of 29
19. Big SeanSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Demi LovatoSource:Getty 20 of 29
21. Russell Wilson and CiaraSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Ariana GrandeSource:Getty 22 of 29
23. Janelle MonaeSource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Lady GagaSource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Lady GagaSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Wiz KhalifaSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. MyaSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Justin BieberSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. Pharrell Williams and Helen LasichanhSource:Getty 29 of 29
Kendrick Lamar Is The Blackest Thing To Happen To The Grammys + More Memorable Moments was originally published on hellobeautiful.com