President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama are the epitome of Black love.
In a sit-down interview with Misty Copeland for TIME, the POTUS praised his wife and daughters, while also recognizing Copeland as a strong woman and good role mode.
“As the father of two daughters, one of the things I’m always looking for are strong women who are out there who are breaking barriers and doing great stuff,” he said. “And Misty’s a great example of that.”
But it was his comments on his family that really got to everyone’s heartstrings. Touching on the pressure young African American women face to be “cute,” the proud dad explained,
“Malia will talk about black girls’ hair … she’s pretty opinionated about the fact that it costs a lot, it takes a long time, that sometimes, girls can be just as tough on each other about how they’re supposed to look.”
Next, he praised his wife for being a healthy role model. He explained how, even though it’s harder on Black girls in this society, it’s empowering it is for Sasha and Malia to see his appreciation of Michelle Obama’s curves:
… It’s part and parcel of a broader way in which we socialize and press women to constantly doubt themselves or define themselves in terms of a certain appearance. And so, Michelle and I are always guarding against that. And the fact that they’ve got a tall, gorgeous mom who has some curves that their father appreciates, I think is helpful.
I do think that culture’s changing for the younger generation a little bit more. You see Beyonce or you see some of these pop stars … What white, Latino (and) black children are seeing as representative of beauty is much broader than it was when I was a kid. You just didn’t see that much representation. And that’s healthy and that’s encouraging. But it’s still a challenge.
Sigh. What are we going to do when he is out of office?
Watch the full interview below:
The Obamas Slay At The State Dinner
1. Barack & Michelle Obama posing with the Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Sophie Gregoire TrudeauSource:Getty 1 of 12
2. Our Fly POTUS and Canadian Prime Minster Gaze At Their Beautiful WivesSource:Getty 2 of 12
3. Barack & Michelle Arrive At The State DinnerSource:Getty 3 of 12
4. Michelle Obama Slays In A Custom Jason WuSource:Getty 4 of 12
5. Sasha Obama Serving In Naeem Khan Resort 2016 collectionSource:Getty 5 of 12
6. Sasha Obama Dress Cost $20KSource:Getty 6 of 12
7. Malia Stunned In Naeem Khan Pre-Fall 2015 CollectionSource:Getty 7 of 12
8. Malia's Dress Cost $18KSource:Getty 8 of 12
9. President Obama Looked Incredibly HandsomeSource:Getty 9 of 12
10. Grant Hill & Tamia Looked GorgeousSource:Getty 10 of 12
11. Grant Hill & TamiaSource:Getty 11 of 12
12. Ryan Reynonds & Blake Lively Look AmazeSource:Getty 12 of 12
President Obama Revels In The Glory Of First Lady Michelle Obama’s Curves was originally published on hellobeautiful.com