OWN drama “Greenleaf” has taken the world by storm for its nuanced, emotional look into a fictional family’s deep secrets. But while the show’s incredible performances and storylines are what have drawn so many fans, one of the stars says it’s also about showing a side of Black culture that is often under-explored in Hollywood.
In the clip above, Greg Alan Williams, who plays Mac, says:
You have this intergenerational Black family drama, set in the church, which is thing that we’re all so familiar with and has nurtured so many of us in so many ways. It’s amazing to me. When I was a kid and we were having supper in the kitchen, and we heard a Black voice on television, we would rush to the living room to see who it was. Diahann Carroll, Ivan Dixon … who was it? Because it was so rare. So to be a part of it, as an actor, is something, I’ll be honest with you, I never thought I would be a part of.
See the rest of his interview in the clip above and be sure to tune into Greenleaf, which airs Wednesday nights at 10/9c, only on OWN.
HelloBeautiful Presents Women To Know, Class Of 2017: The Comeback Queens
1. Maxine WatersSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Soledad O'BrienSource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Jamira BurleySource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Lisa Nicole CarsonSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Nadia LopezSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Draya MicheleSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Miko BranchSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Regina KingSource:Getty 8 of 14
9. Gabourey SidibeSource:Getty 9 of 14
10. April RyanSource:Getty 10 of 14
11. Roxanne ShanteSource:Getty 11 of 14
12. Fantasia BarrinoSource:Getty 12 of 14
13. CiaraSource:Getty 13 of 14
14. Terrie WilliamsSource:Getty 14 of 14
‘Greenleaf’ Star Greg Alan Williams Says The Show Is Changing How The World Sees Black People was originally published on hellobeautiful.com