Instead of having a big cake and tons of presents, a Chicago 6-year-old decided the best gift to receive for her birthday was the feeling of giving back to others.
According to ABC News, Armani Crews decided to feed the homeless to celebrate turning 6 on March 8. And she was clear that she wanted her homeless guests to enjoy everything she would have served at her own party.
“I said, ‘OK, we’ll make some sandwiches,’ to which Armani said, ‘No. I want the same thing we’d have at my birthday party,’” her mother recalled.
Even when her father pressed that this would mean she wasn’t getting any presents, the little girl said that was fine by her. Soon after, the family spent nearly $300 on food to deliver to homeless people in the city’s East Garfield Park neighborhood. And the menu was off the chain! They served chicken, fish, spaghetti, corn, green beans, mashed potatoes, rolls, cake, cookies and fruit.
In addition, the Crews’ church congregation showed their support by donating toothbrushes, toothpaste, razors, deodorant, hand sanitizer and a snacks for mini-care packages that were passed out as well. And her event was a success: Wearing a tiara on her head, she helped feed 125 people, ABC noted.
“She was excited. She was happy. Everybody was being fed. …One of the gentleman said he hadn’t had a hot meal in a long time, ” Crews mother said.
Even better: This won’t be a one-and-done situation. The 6-year-old wants to host another community meal “within the next couple of weeks.”
Love it! What a special little girl!
Where Are Our Girls? 10 Black Teens Have Gone Missing In The Washington, D.C. Area
SportsCenter’s Tribute To ‘A Different World’ Is Giving Us Life!
Why Lupita Nyong’o’s ‘Coming To America’-Themed Party Was Everything!
Also On Spirit 1400:
15 photos Launch gallery
1 of 15
2. Thank You Jesus for giving me my smile back. I sure do appreciate You.
2 of 15
3. I've been feeling this pink lip color lately. My hubby, @ejgaines, says that if I were a color, I'd be hot pink. I'm with it! Lol
3 of 15
4. 2 services, 7 songs, headed to airport, flight in a few, concert tonight in Indiana and I'm still smiling! #LifeLessons
4 of 15
5. This little light of mine...#Unstoppable#GrayingGracefully
5 of 15
6. Smiling Days
6 of 15
7. Red carpet ready!!! @siralgernon is everything!!! Showed some of his hidden talents with this whole look. Lol!!!! #journeytothetruth #stopatthestellars #stellars2015
7 of 15
8. When I'm bored... In my @rebdolls black dress love them! 💞
8 of 15
9. In my office preparing to teach biblical studies tonight...God's word is overwhelmingly GOOD!!! @getthevictory 7pm.
9 of 15
10. Great things happening! 2015 is the year to get things DONE!
10 of 15
11. Happy Sunday!
11 of 15
12 of 15
13. It feels good to be home in Deeeeeetroit for a few days! Trying to catch up with all my people while i'm in town!😎
13 of 15
14. Trumpet Awards Selfie!!!! I SO Enjoyed This Show!!! Man!!! Yall are gonna love it! #Blessed
14 of 15
15 of 15