Of the more than 60,000 pre-k through 8th grade students served by Baltimore City Public Schools, 15k may need glasses but significant barriers prevent many from getting them. Does a student you know need glasses? Even if you’re not sure, it doesn’t hurt to check.
Vision for Baltimore is a new program offering vision services to thousands of students across Baltimore City. It’s a partnership between the Baltimore City Health Department (BCHD) and city schools, Johns Hopkins University (JHU), non-profit provider Vision To Learn (VTL), and Warby Parker. They’re screening all elementary and middle school students and offering eye exams and glasses to any student who needs them.
Screenings are provided by BCHD. Students who do not pass the screening are able—with the consent of a parent or guardian—to get eye exams in VTL’s mobile vision clinic, which comes right to schools. If students need glasses, they pick the style and color of their frames in the mobile clinic. The glasses are then manufactured by eyewear provider Warby Parker and delivered to students in their schools.
All services are available regardless of ability to pay, and there is no out-of-pocket cost. If a student is enrolled in Medicaid, their Medicaid provider may be billed.
Did You Know: Improved vision better hand-eye coordination; more interest in and comfort with reading; fewer headaches, eye strain and other distractions; and better grades and behavior at school. A JHU research team is collaborating with BCHD, City Schools, and VTL to assist with the implementation of vision services and measure their impact on academic performance.
Here’s how it works:
- Registration is not required, but a parent or guardian needs to sign a consent form for a student who fails the screening to get an exam and glasses
- Exams are conducted in VTL’s mobile vision van right outside each school
- Glasses are delivered to students in schools
For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
FAB FINDS: Get Geek Chic With These 17 Stylish Glasses
1. LookmaticSource:Lookmatic 1 of 17
2. LookmaticSource:Lookmatic 2 of 17
3. Lookmatic3 of 17
4. Bon LookSource:Bon Look 4 of 17
5. Bon LookSource:Bon Look 5 of 17
6. LookmaticSource:Lookmatic 6 of 17
7. Bon LookSource:Bon Look 7 of 17
8. Warby ParkerSource:Warby Parker 8 of 17
9. Bon Look9 of 17
10. Zenni OpticalSource:Zenni Optical 10 of 17
11. Warby ParkerSource:Warby Parker 11 of 17
12. Zenni OpticalSource:Zenni Optical 12 of 17
13. Zenni OpticalSource:Zenni Optical 13 of 17
14. CoastalSource:Coastal 14 of 17
15. LookmaticSource:Lookmatic 15 of 17
16. CoastalSource:Coastal 16 of 17
17. Warby ParkerSource:Warby Parker 17 of 17
Vision For Baltimore: Vision Services For Students In The City was originally published on 92q.com