As you are probably aware, Haiti suffered a tremendous tragedy yesterday. Tragic times such as these are a reminder of how fragile life is. How distant are our memories of prosperity when faced with the realities of hardship.
While many of us can relate to the difficult times brought on by the economic crisis; I ask you, can it even compare to the devastation in Haiti? Are we left without food and shelter or proper medical treatments by no fault of our own? Not at all.
If we reflect on our trials and our triumphs, abundant is the love and kindness in our lives. This is what is required to make it through the bad times and to give us strength and a shining light in the hopelessness of grief’s darkness.
Many organizations are now accepting donations; a list is available below.
Open Your Hand and Be A Blessing-Please
The people of Haiti need your help. Here are the best ways to aid the crisis relief and rescue efforts:
1. Donate $5 to the Yele Haiti Earthquake Fund (Wyclef Jean’s Foundation) by texting “Yele” to 501501 (the amount will be charged to your cell phone bill) or visit http://www.Yele.org and click “Donate.”
2. Donate $10 through the U.S. Dept. of State: text “HAITI” to “90999″ and $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross, charged to your cell phone bill. Or call (800) RED-CROSS.
3. Save the Children. Donate at savethechildren.org or make checks out to “Save the Children” and mail to: Save the Children Income Processing Department, 54 Wilton Road, Westport, Conn. 06880
4. UNICEF. Go online to unicefusa.org/haitiquake or call (800) 4UNICEF.
5. Direct Relief International. Donate online at directrelief.org.
6. Mercy Corp. Go online to mercycorps.org or mail checks to Haiti Earthquake Fund, Dept. NR, PO Box 2669, Portland, Ore. 97208 or call (888) 256-1900